Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Still going

I haven't written in a while. Too busy training I guess. The last entry was my crazy 7 mile run. That turned out to not be the best thing. I had some pretty painful tendonitis of some kind in the foot and lower leg. So I was off of training for about a week or so. I learned my lesson though. Steady progress, no big jumps in distance. Actually, I probably haven't learned that lesson, I am sure I will do it again. That's just how I am.

Training is going pretty good. I am up to about 1500 yards for my swim work out, four miles running, and 10-15 miles on the bike. I have been trying to include a run after a bike work out when I can. I am getting a sense that I am not training as effectively as I can. When I train, I have just been doing a continuous distance and evaluating how successful the training was by the speed or pace that I covered the distance. I think my body is figuring out what's going on and has decided that it doesn't need to adapt because I am not going to do anything to intense.

I went and talked to a trainer a while ago, thinking that I needed someone to help me lay out a better plan. The guy I went to talk to was Eric Doehrman. A super nice guy, seemed to really know what he was talking about. The only problem was that he was pretty expensive (at least for me), and he wanted a year commitment. Both of which I totally understand, but I started to have flashbacks to all those gyms I have belonged to that I stopped going to but had to finish out the contract. Since I am just starting in this sport, I decided to wait at least until next year and make sure I am still in to it.

I have also been taking a training class at Fleet Feet. It is a great class with some great instructors. But there are about 75 people taking the class and they just can't spend the one-on-one time with each person. Also, it is an introductory level class, so the training is rather wholesale, not really much more than the couch-to-5k type program. It does work somewhat, I couldn't even run half a mile when I started now I can run 3 miles after biking 10 pretty easily. But none of the reason or science behind the training is presented. So a novice cannot really figure out how to tailor the training. It is not getting me to the next level.

I have been researching endurance training on the internet. There is a lot of information to process. I think my goal is to come up with a training plan that has very detailed workouts, not just "run 3 miles this week and 4 next week". There is going to have to be some interval type training and some other higher intensity type stuff to really improve. I am really bogged down in the details right now. I have learned just enough to confuse myself. I don't know how or when to do endurance type training versus speed type training, or how to set up a session using things like VO2Max and lactate threshold or even how to determine those quantities.

As far as races, I ran in the "Big 5K" a few weeks ago. It went pretty good. I ended up talking to a guy while I was running, so it really wasn't my best time, but it was fun. I have signed up for 6 events in the next 8 weeks (see, I told you I didn't learn my lesson). The Wet Dog sprint tri is this weekend, Paint the Streets 5K the next weekend, and then the Summer Sizzler (45 mile bike ride) the next. Then I get a weekend off. Then the Huntsville sprint tri, RocketMan Oly tri, and the finally the Frantic Frog sprint tri. I think I am going to sign up for the Aquabike at the RocketMan. I am not sure I am ready for a full olympic distance. The 10K run would be really tough.

I have also signed up for a half marathon training class at Fleet Feet to try to improve my running. The Huntsville Half Marathon is in November.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are still at it Howard! Don't forget recovery in your plan there. :) You sound just like me, wanting to figure it out for yourself. Don't worry too much about the fancy workout stuff at this point... maybe think something like one 'long', one 'speed' (say track), and one 'medium' per week for runs. Bikes are a bit tougher to fit in, but one 'long' and one 'short/fast' with a short run after if you can goes a long way I think. Swims, don't ask me. LOL

    I say all this but of course it isn't really what I do, so take it with a grain of salt. It's just theory. :)

    Darren

    ReplyDelete