Monday, September 3, 2012

Huntsville Sprint Triathlon

It has been a while since I have written in this blog so I thought I would catch up.


The Huntsville Sprint Triathlon was our target race for the Fleet Feet Tri101 program.  This was technically my third triathlon.  The Wet Dog was my first and then Tri101 did the whole Huntsville Sprint course as a practice race the weekend before.  So I was pretty ready for it.

I arrived at 5:30 when the transition opened and set up my gear.  There was lots of excitement with all the Tri101 peeps there.  For a large number of them, this was their first.  It was fun to their faces, excited, nervous.  I kind of felt like a veteran since I had done it before.

Before the race started, we all gathered together to stretch and get ready. Then we got lined up.  We were not able to warm up in the pool for some reason, so will all just milled around outside the pool and talked.

The race itself was pretty uneventful.  I did lose my goggles on the first lap which was kind of a bummer.  Apparently the strap came loose.  So I had to swim the remaining 7 laps with my head out of the water.  I think my time was about 14 minutes.  Not what I was hoping, but I made it through it.

The bike and the run went well.  My overall time was 1:16:00.  Which wasn't too bad.  If I hadn't lost my goggles I think I would have been close to my goal of 1:11:00.

After each Tri101'er got done we all went to the Fleet Feet tent and cheered all the others on.  It was so much fun.  I hung around until almost everyone had left.  I didn't want to leave.

The Tri101 program was the best thing I ever did.  All of coaches and participants were such great people.  It really was a great experience.  I am a little sad it is over.  I am taking another Fleet Feet training course, Half Marathon, but it isn't the same.  For some reason, the camaraderie isn't there.  Maybe it's the difference between runners and triathletes.

No comments:

Post a Comment