Monday, September 3, 2012

Monte Sano 10K and 5K



I am taking another Fleet Feet training course for a half marathon.  The Monte Sano road race was one of our training events.  We had to run both races.  I was a little nervous since 7 miles was the longest I had run.

The 10K wasn't too bad.  Actually, the first 5K was a PR for me, 11:02.  The second 5K was a little slower.  My time for the whole thing was 1:15:00.  My goal was 1:10:00.

The second race was awful, 0:45:00!!  My legs hurt so badly.  When I got home I filled up the bath tub with ice and just sat in it for about 30 minutes.  It is now two days later and my ankles are still a little sore.

I obviously have some work to do to get to 13.1 miles.

2 comments:

  1. Just takes time. Don't jump up in mileage too fast, rule of thumb is no more than 10% jump in mileage or time in a single run or weekly total or you are asking for trouble. :) Good job Howard, you are killin it! Next time just remember to start slower. For the Half, think of it as a 10 mile warmup for a 5K race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Darren. I hear you. This was actually a training run for the half-marathon training course I am taking though FleetFeet. We do a tempo run or speed work on Tuesdays, an easy run on Thrusdays, and a long run on Saturdays. This was to serve as our long run.

    I mentioned to the coach the fact that this was a couple miles longer than I ever ran and the pace group I was assigned to was right at my fastest 5K pace! They said to just do the best I could.

    ReplyDelete