Monday, September 3, 2012

Rocketman Olympic Triathlon



The Rocketman was my first Olympic distance triathlon. I was singed up for the "aquabike" which is only the swim and bike portions of the race. I thought it was too soon to try the whole thing. I didn't think I was ready for the 10K run.

At the packet pickup I had lunch with Caneilia, Janet, and Rick. They were Tri101 coaches. It was great to see them again. We had a great lunch.

I got my packet, attended the pre-race briefing, and got body marked. This was my first time using the TriTat marking, so I let them put them on for me. Since I was also volunteering after the race, I also picked up my volunteer shirt. And, of course, the only sizes they had was XL. I have lost a lot of weight, but I still can't fit into an XL shirt. I have a closet full for race shirts that don't fit. Maybe some day.

I was a little worried about the swim since I hadn't gone that far in a race. I had swam 1800 yards several times in training, but that was in a pool by myself. I tried not to think about it and just do it. It turned out not to bee too bad. My time was 34 minutes. I am not a fast swimmer. I need to work on that over the winter.

T1 was uneventful, 1:45 or so. The bike was a little tougher than I expected. It was pretty hilly. Every race I have been in so far they say the course is "flat and fast". If that was flat, I would hate to see what they call hilly. I finished the bike in 1:29:00. A little slow.

I think I probably could have done the run before the cutoff time, but it would not have been pretty. My legs were pretty wobbly.

After the race, I hung our by the finish line and cheered on the people coming in. This will probably be the last time I get to do that since I will probably be one of the last ones finishing from now on.

When the awards started I went and helped tear down the bike racks and then headed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment